Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day Forty-seven















The riding is coming much easier now. I’m really in the groove, but it was hard to tear myself away from Whitefish! I really love that town. I got the same feeling I had when I saw Burlington for the first time. Today I rode from Whitefish, almost to Eureka. We felt we should do a night of free camping after our night in the luxurious Grouse Mountain Lodge. So now we are as remote as remote can be.

We just followed the sign for a campground off Route 93, after trying a few places that were full, and now here we are. I’ll be honest, I’m a little worried about visits from the local wildlife out here. We’re REALLY off the main road, camped by a raging river with water the temperature of…well, snow. We’ve got the tent all set up, and Chuck’s trying to get a fire started. We’ve both been dying for a fire; back home, we have one almost every day! We started the day in Whitefish with breakfast in a downtown café, since the hotel restaurant was pretty expensive and the menu didn’t thrill us. The café was awesome!! I love the Montana brand coffee, and we shared the best veggie eggs benedict we’ve ever had. Oh yeah, Whitefish. We’ll be back.

Went back to the hotel to check out and I (finally) updated my blog. Chuck did some laundry while I headed out. It was a beautiful, sunny, hot, windy day. I really can’t believe how much good weather I’ve had on this trip. I’ve been very lucky. Right now it’s a little cloudy, not bad, about 70 degrees. The fire’s blazing away and it feels good.

Our night in Whitefish was very special. We had some sushi, something I haven’t had for the whole trip, and then some Italian for dinner. I had spinach gnocchi and Chuck had some angel hair pasta with picholine olives and shrimp. He liked the dish, but didn’t care for the olives (I was happy to take care of that). We went to watch some live music and it was fantastic, but I knew Chuck would have liked to join them. Unfortunately, they did not have a keyboard for him.

We took the shuttle back to the hotel and went for a swim in the pool, sat in the hot tub and then sat in the sauna. I can take saunas or leave them, but Chuck loves them. The hotter the better. When we bought our house, we had plans to install one in the basement. I’d love to see that happen sometime in the next year or so. I want to make a lot of things happen when we get back. I’m filled with a new motivation.

Chuck managed to get a really good fire going. It’s so nice to sit around the campfire, especially since the bugs are really not that bad here. Even though it’s pretty warm out, a fire just feels really good, and it’s especially nice with a river in the background flowing strong. The sound is very soothing. We took out the Jet Boil and made a dinner out of a garlic noodle soup bowl and peanut butter on bread. It was really good, but I think everything tastes better when you’re camping. I was actually craving a smore, and I don’t like marshmallows, chocolate or graham crackers much. They’re just so good when you have them all together!

We were lucky enough to have the entire campground to ourselves (did I mention this place is really in the middle of nowhere?) so it was absolutely quiet, except for the river. We settled in, all cozy in our little tent, each of us bundled up in our sleeping bags, since the nights have been pretty cold lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment