Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day Thirty
















Too hot today to do much riding; it would have been dangerous. It was a shame, because I slept so well last night, I had plenty of energy. I made it from Dalbo as far as Morrill, and that was it, unfortunately. I had some peanut butter toast at the bunkhouse and some coffee (so nice to have a real coffeepot!) and set out on the road. The wind was from the south which was nice when I was headed north, but that was only about 50 percent of the time. The rest of the time I was headed west and the wind slowed me down a bit.

When I got to Milaca, I was pretty hungry, but the only option was Hardee’s. Usually, I avoid the chain restaurants, but it looked like the only show in town so I pulled in. I had stashed my cash in a little side pocket of my seat bag, and promptly forgot about it. I went up to the counter and ordered, thinking I had my cash with me, but then realized I didn’t. I had been chatting with the lady next to me and told her about my ride, and when she realized I didn’t have my money, she put down $5. I apologized, and she said, “That’s OK, I was going to give you a little money for your ride anyway.” I got my food, a biscuit with egg and cheese, hashbrowns and orange juice, and she sat next to me. We chatted for a while, and I made her laugh. She wished me a safe trip and I went out to wait for Chuck. I found my money while I was waiting. I almost think I’m MORE forgetful after a good night’s sleep.

Chuck went back to the library in Milaca, and I went back to the road. We had planned on meeting in Little Rock, but it was a long way off and they didn’t have a restaurant shown on my map. I called Chuck and asked if he could meet me in Ramey. He said he would. I passed through Ramey, but it was clear the dining options were quite limited. The next town was only 1 mile away, so I kept going.

I pulled up to Morrill and Full Throttle was the only place I saw, so I went in. Keri was the bartender and she was very nice. People don’t seem to drink ginger ale much here (I get funny looks when I ask for it) so I had a cranberry juice. Chuck showed up and we ordered a fish sandwich and some broccoli bites, but that will definitely have to be the last of the fried food for a while. My body can’t take any more.

Tonight we’re camping in the park in Bowlus, and Chuck bought some tuna and sandwich stuff, so we’ll eat a little healthier tonight. The cafĂ© across the street will be our breakfast choice in the morning, and the bike path is right here, so I can eat and go. It’ll be nice to listen to some music while I ride again. I’m really hoping tomorrow will be cooler. I keep hearing rumors that the weather is supposed to turn nasty this weekend. May be a good opportunity to stay at a motel. I’m a little nervous about our options, with the holiday coming up. Should be interesting trying to find places to stay this weekend, but I should be able to make it to North Dakota tomorrow. Hopefully! I have to be in Seattle by the end of this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment