Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day Forty-six















This was a day that will live in my memory for the rest of my life. I was a little disappointed when I found out that Don and Bob would be staying in St. Mary for another day, so I would be riding through Glacier on my own, but it turned out to be the right thing. We said good-bye last night, since I needed to get an early start. Chuck drove me to the lodge, and I had a coffee and a muffin. I went through the gate to Glacier National Park.

It was a little cloudy, but it was apparent that it wouldn’t last long. The ride began with some mild climbs, and the scenery was just breathtaking. I stopped to take pictures (see my Facebook page). The weather was perfect, almost no wind, and a little cool. I wore my “Showers Pass” jacket which was just right for the conditions. Since it was Saturday, there were a lot of cars entering the park, but they were considerate for the most part, giving me space. I was amazed to find that I was the only biker heading up to Logan Pass (at that time). I didn’t realize I would be riding for about 13 miles before I actually got to the pass. Chuck had planned to meet me at 8:30, and I started riding at 7:00.

I passed someone taking pictures with a really nice camera, so I figured he was a good person to ask to take my picture (shown above). I don’t know if I can put this experience into words. I’m not sure I have the writing skill. Riding my bike through Glacier was just a life-changing experience. If you’ve done it, you know what I mean. Everyone should see Glacier, and I think the best way to see it is on a bike. You miss a lot when you drive through. I could smell the trees and hear the animals, and I was able to appreciate the mountains. I was so taken aback by the beauty of it all, and I started to think about my dad and this ride, and how much I miss him. Then I just couldn’t stop crying. Mostly, they were happy tears. I’ve come so far in my life, and this is such a great experience. I thought to myself, “How can anyone complain about their life when we live in a world as beautiful as this?”

Chuck met up with me at Piegan Pass. He got out of the car and said, “Hey, how’s it going?” and then he saw the tears. He got a concerned look on his face, “Honey, are you OK?” I said, “Yes, I just can’t stop crying. Have you ever felt like you were EXACTLY where you were SUPPOSED to be?” and he replied, “Yes, I have. I know what you mean.” And he hugged me tight.

I headed up Piegan Pass without hesitation. I didn’t want this experience to end. I was actually a little disappointed when I reached Logan Pass. I had thought there would be more climbing, but that was the highest point for me. The ride over Logan Pass is MUCH more difficult when you come from the other side. I’m not going to lie to you; without realizing it, I had taken the easy way! I was rewarded for all those miles on this trip of biking into the wind. This was my reward!! 12 miles downhill. It was the wildest, most thrilling ride I’ve ever known. I was careful not to go too fast, since there was some construction and taking a spill on that road could quite possibly be fatal. For those 12 miles, I don’t think I could have wiped the grin off my face if I tried. It was stuck there. I let out a few screams (when there was no one around) too. I felt bad when I passed bikers coming the other way, but they smiled at me because they knew how much fun I was having. Chuck met me at Sprague Campground and had to give me a ride for 7 miles because that section of road was closed to bikers. We stopped for a fantastic veggie wrap at a restaurant in Apgar. I continued on my way to Whitefish. It was a great day of riding. I was feeling strong and it was really nice to go downhill for a change!

Chuck and I instantly fell in love with Whitefish. It’s a great community, full of awesome restaurants, lots of live music and you can see the mountains from wherever you are. Our good friends Steve and Andrea put us up at the Grouse Mountain Lodge. It was beyond fabulous. We took the free shuttle into town and just drank in the atmosphere. I really hate to leave this town. We will DEFINITELY be back. (How’s that?)

No comments:

Post a Comment