Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day Fifteen
















I enjoyed a much-needed day off today in Lyndhurst, Ohio with my friend, Gino. We headed out to get some breakfast, and I thought it was odd that we pulled into the CVS parking lot, but I thought “Maybe here in Ohio, they serve breakfast at CVS. Heck, I don’t know – I’ve never been to Ohio!” But it turns out we were headed for a little place tucked behind the CVS, and it was very popular! I can see why; the food was very good. I loved the hash browns. I never get tired of two eggs over easy, toast and home fries or hash browns. I’m pretty easy to please!

We went to a discount store that Gino likes, looking for an atlas for me, but he ended up getting a cool mini motorized vehicle thingy for his daughter, Isabelle and an inflatable mattress for moi, so I would be a little more comfortable on my second night. The prices were so good, it was amazing. I picked up a couple more packets of ready-made tuna, because it’s so convenient and cheap when I’m camping.

We headed home and just hung out for a while. Gino was trying very hard to get me on the news, but they weren’t responding unfortunately. I was kind of OK with it, since I hadn’t sleep well, and my eyelids were the size of melons. Gino said it just made me look more devoted to the cause. “See…I’m biking across the country on absolutely no sleep! That’s how much this means to me.” Honestly, I’d prefer a little sleep, but it’ll come when it comes, I guess.

We went out again after a while to find a bike shop and get my bike tuned up. Unfortunately, the only bike shop we found was not a good one. They put my bike on the stand, looked it over, and told me I needed a new chain. I said, “Are you sure? It’s a brand new bike.” They said, “That’s what the gauge is telling us; you don’t want to take a chance on your chain.” They said it would be at least $30 for a new chain plus labor. A red flag was really going up for me, so I said, “That’s OK, I’ll take my chances for now.” They did end up selling me a tool to clean my chain and some degreaser (which of course came in an enormous can, too big for my trailer) and I also got some Glide which the couple from Cape Cod had recommended for my butt. A young man who had just started working there helped us out to the car, and he commented that he was a little disgusted by their business practices and had noticed them selling people things they didn’t really need. I appreciated his honesty.

After that, we went for a drink and a snack to Buffalo Wild Wings. I’d never been to one; we just got one in Burlington but I didn’t get a chance to go before I left. It was OK. I really liked the margarita I had, but wasn’t impressed with the popcorn shrimp. Gino’s mozzarella sticks were really good, and I enjoyed watching the World Cup. Uruguay vs. South Africa.

Headed home after that, and Julie arrived soon after with the girls. Isabelle was thrilled with her gift, and I truly wish I had a photo of her face as she rode around on her new toy. It was priceless. We ordered pizza for dinner, and I started to watch Sherlock Holmes, but it was pretty awful and I was tired, so I headed off to bed on the new air mattress. I really enjoyed my day off, and I’m ready to get back in the saddle again!

1 comment:

  1. Are you sure that wasn't Saudi Arabia vs. South Africa? =o)

    ReplyDelete