Sunday, June 6, 2010

Day Four















I don’t know how I can be so tired and not sleep. I’m going on four days without even a minute of sleep. It’s starting to catch up with me, feeling dizzy, etc. I hope I can catch up with Kevin today, and get a good night’s sleep at his house…

I left Eighth Lake Campground this morning around 8:30. It took me a while to get packed up because it had rained last night, so things were kind of wet. I took my trailer over to the garage to get it all packed up, and it took about an hour and a half. The people at the campground were very nice and gave me a homemade doughnut. I saved it for later. Headed up the road and stopped at a little place serving breakfast in Inlet. It was OK, but no one talked to me. I had a couple of eggs, homefries and some juice and headed on. If I had kept going, I could have gone to the Tamarack, a place the couple in Long Lake recommended, but I guess it wasn’t meant to be. Wouldn’t mind checking it out if I’m ever in the area again; it looked pretty cool.

Going through Old Forge was interesting. I passed an amusement park, Water Safari, which was closed. The town was having a “Thunder Weekend” so there were Harleys everywhere, and more pouring in. A brief shower hit, so I found some shelter and rested a bit. The road had recently been paved, so after I passed through, I took Dave Crane’s advice and wiped off my tires.

I headed south on Route 28 to McKeever, and almost kept going on 28, which would have been wrong. I backtracked a little and turned onto Moose River Road. It was absolutely lovely. If I had more time, I probably would have jumped in the river! The road had a few hills, but nothing major. I panicked a little after I saw the sign for Boonville, because my map said Route 12 was just ½ mile away when you enter Boonville, and it seemed like I had been riding for quite a while. I guess they meant Boonville Village. I came out on Route 12 and asked a man sitting at the gas station how to get to Kayuta Lake Drive In and he told me to go the wrong way. I had a gut feeling, so I asked for a second opinion in the gas station. They had never heard of it. I asked a guy in the parking lot and he said, “Sure, it’s just up the road about 8 miles on the left!” I couldn’t have made it there by 3:00 to meet Kevin, so I gave him a call. He had actually been driving around trying to find me, since I didn’t have the sense to share my route with him (heck, I didn’t even know my route). We hooked up and drove to the store, where I found some Blue Moon, cheddar chips and best of all, VEGGIE BURGERS. I ate two veggie burgers, almost the entire bag of chips, and two beers.

Hung out chatting with Kevin's wife, Laura (she’s a sweetheart) and went to bed for a little while, after watching some of this great movie I found: Three Days of the Condor. I got up again around midnight and everyone was up, so I hung out with Kevin for a while, catching up on old times. I did manage to get a few hours of sleep after that, mainly because Kevin hooked me up with some “Porter’s Liniment Salve”. If you have bug bites, get some of this stuff! It’s awesome. Made my bites stop itching immediately. YAY!!

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you aren't complaining about what the seat does to your behind! Remarkable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I have a tough behind! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following your adventures, Katy. Just wondering if it would be helpful to have a GPS?
    On the other hand, a voice constantly saying "recalculating" might not prove to be a good companion. Wishing you clear, dry weather and safe travels.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete