Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day Fourteen
















I’m SO sleepy. I was given a perfectly comfortable futon to sleep on last night, which should have been fine, but I chose to sleep in the middle (where it folds) instead of on the side, and I couldn’t get comfortable. Now I get to be on TV with eyelids the size of doughnuts. Speaking of doughnuts, did you know there’s something called “doughnut peaches”? Peaches that look like little doughnuts! They were so cute, I had to get one.

Yesterday was good. I headed out early from the campground and stopped at a place for breakfast that was just opening up. Once again, as I was digging things out of the trailer, the bike fell over. I can’t believe my mirror hasn’t broken!

There were three friendly gentlemen there having breakfast, so I sat at the table next to them so we could chat. One of them, especially, was very interested in my ride and asked me lots of questions. I love that; I’m happy to answer everyone’s questions, and some of them really crack me up. He told me I look like a school teacher, and I decided to take it as a compliment.

The waitress told me that they were all enjoying $1.99 specials, so I got 2 eggs, toast and homefries for $1.99. I could have had meat too, but as you know, I don’t eat meat. Still, it was a good deal and right in my price range. The waitress was very nice, and I enjoyed being there. I updated my blog and went outside to repack my trailer since I had done a terrible job of it at the campground. The man at the site next to me, however, had been very impressed with my efficiency. He said, “You’re up and at 'em, aren’t you?” Quite a compliment coming from him since he looked like military! Truth was, I just really wanted to get away from the monster mosquitos!

The forecast had called for rain, which I was looking forward to, but as the morning progressed it became clear that they were wrong. It turned sunny and very hot. I knew Gino was meeting up with me soon, so I held off on the sunscreen. The biking was nice today; my route took me right along Lake Erie and it’s just beautiful. I was passed by a tandem with a married couple in their 50s. They had been biking from Cape Cod and were on their way to Chicago (wish I’d asked them about their route, since I have to go off mine to get there!). After Chicago, they were going to ride south to New Orleans! They weren’t camping though; hotels all the way. They had a small B.O.B. trailer like Earl’s had tried to sell me, and I’m very glad I went with the Burley Nomad. It’s much better suited for what I’m doing. I chatted with them for a while, we all stopped and had a snack and then we parted ways.

Soon after that, Gino spotted me (YAY!). He took me for some lunch and we went to his house. He and his wife, Julianne, have a nice house that was built in the '40s, 2 adorable little girls and 2 chihuahuas. After I got settled we went to the store and Gino bought me some beer from a local brewer called Great Lakes Brewing Company. The beer is Holy Moses White Ale, and I love it. Wish I could bring some with me! We went out to dinner later on to a fantastic Japanese restaurant called Otani that was offering ½ price hibachi night. I kinda wish I had chosen that, since it looked so good, but I had my heart set on sushi. It was very good, and I had some spinach with sesame oil on the side. The girls, for the most part, enjoyed the show and it was a fun evening. The chef was great, and the “onion volcano” he made came out perfect!

Turned in for the night after that. I realized that I have to completely change my route from here if I’m heading to Chicago. The ACA route takes me much too far south. Hmmmmm…..

3 comments:

  1. Hi Katy! Day 14 where were you? Sounds like the Cleveland area. I grew up a couple blocks from the Great Lakes Brewing Company and went to Otani for dinner for prom my senior year! Safe travels!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two weeks in and you're doing so great! I love reading your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in Lyndhurst, Miss Hecker! Otani was awesome, and I loved the Great Lakes beer. Nice place to grow up! :-)

    ReplyDelete