Thursday, June 3, 2010

Day Two















Today was a really hard day. I started out at 7:00 being viciously attacked by mosquitos while packing up the trailer, and my tent was soaked from the rain last night. Stupid me, I had the rain fly on my tent, but took it off because I was too hot and it didn’t look like rain. At 3:00 in the morning, roughly, I realized it was pouring and the rain was coming right in my tent. I wasn’t sleeping anyway…

That’s why I’m just exhausted tonight and probably won’t make this long. The ride over Blue Ridge, Ragged Mountain, whatever, was really hard. That’s a MEAN mountain. You go up a slope similar to Route 74 out of Ticonderoga, and you think you’re done and there’ll be a really cool ride down. NOPE! Just more ups and downs for what seems like an eternity. Lots of logging trucks going by too. Seemed like one every five minutes. Most of them waved.

I finally got to Newcomb, where my map promised a restaurant and grocery store. Where’s that correction card? There was nothing in Newcomb! A teeny little bar that looked like it was run out of someone’s house and that’s about it. Guess I shouldn’t have passed it by, because it was the only place I could have gotten a sandwich for the next 50 miles or so! I stumbled into Long Lake and ended up at the Adirondack Hotel – my savior! They gave me lunch (well, sold me lunch), and the bartender was touched by my story, so he took me up to the owners to talk to them and they gave me a huge discount on a room. So now I get to sleep in a real bed, with real pillows and real blankets! My big problem with tent sleeping is the lack of a pillow. I tried stuffing my pillow case with my clothes, like more rugged people do, but it was lumpy, hard and uncomfortable. No sleep for you, Katy Blue!!

I’m off to bed, see you in the morning………….

No comments:

Post a Comment