Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Leaving Tomorrow

So Chuck convinced me that, based on the fact that I was throwing my stuff together last minute, greatly increasing my chances of forgetting something important, and the forecast, which predicts rain all day today, I should postpone my departure to tomorrow. He's a smart man!

This weekend went fairly well. The hardest part was going 3 whole days without getting on my bike! My party was a huge success, despite the last-minute cleaning up and prep. Lots of dear friends and family all having fun, a few tears, lots of hugs and LOVE. It was great to see my Aunt Sue and her family, and I'm so happy my grandparents could be there. They're just amazing, and I found out yesterday that they're going to try biking again, but this time on tricycles! I would love to do some rides with them when I get back.

On Sunday, I headed out on my bike to Woodbury (did you know it's the black fly capital of the world?) - 58 miles. It took me forever, due to a lunch stop in Waterbury with very slow service, mediocre food and a Clausthaler (non-alcoholic beer) that I probably shouldn't have had. I dealt with recurring stomach cramps for most of the way to Woodbury after that. Did you know it's mostly uphill from Montpelier to Woodbury? :-) Chuck showed up shortly after that, and we devoured an entire large pizza for dinner (as my grandparents watched in awe...or was it horror?) We headed up to Barton to retrieve my pool sticks (long story) and then back to Woodbury. I had already set up my tent, so off to bed I went. I didn't fall asleep even once. I realized I'm spoiled, and I'm just going to have to find room in my trailer for a real pillow. My grandpa said people rarely have a good night's sleep the first time they try sleeping in a tent. I'm sure I'll get used to it! Rode to Montpelier yesterday, Chuck picked me up, and we had an excellent dinner at The Alchemist, my last meal in a VT restaurant.

1 comment:

  1. June 1, June 2, who's counting? I think you did the right thing. Looking forward to your first post from the road!

    ReplyDelete